Thursday, March 11, 2010

I never fully realized just how much I've 'let go' since coming here, until today. I have quite a few things that need to be done and organized over the next week or so (although I'll admit my list is nothing compared to what I used to juggle back home) and so by the end of today I had a pounding headache. Which made me remember how often I used to feel this way at the end of the day; exhausted, irritable, and ready to crash onto my pillow at any moment. Considering I used to feel like this four or five days out of the week and this is the first time I've felt like this in SIX months I'd say I'm doing pretty well for myself. I'm liking the new easy going Paige.

But lots has happened this week that I'm excited to share with you! Last Sunday I went and played futbal (outside!) with The Foundation and it was fantastic. I had so much fun booting the ball around with everyone and since it's pretty much spring here I'd say (but then again maybe not...it snowed 10 cm today) it was REALLY muddy. So we were'nt running so much as sliding everywhere. But I just really love what this foundation does for the people with special needs in the community. Most of them were playing right along with us on Sunday and those who couldn't or didn't want to had a cheering section on the side. I've been spending a lot of time at the foundation lately and it has come to feel like home. I know that I can drop in and help out whenever I have the time so it works really well for me. There isa girl here from China named Li Xi and she is right around my age so we have been doing a lot together of late. She is only going to be here for three weeks because of her visa problems (I feel like I've already shared this with you and if I have then I apologize) so I've been showing her around here and there and taking her out when I go out. Wednesday's at the foundation are cooking night so we had Li Xi come in and show us how to prepare some traditional Chinese dishes and it was great! Everyone loved it and the food was delicious. Then afterwards I went out with Li Xi, Paul, Andre (a slovak friend) and Peng (the other chinese guy I met before) for dinner at the single asian restaurant in Zilina. So all in all it was a nice evening spent with friends from all over the world.

I also had the opportunity to visit one of the local Children Homes this week. I went during the day with my councillor for an interview so i didn't get to see any kids as they were all in school but I found out a lot about how children services works over here and got a tour of the building. These children homes are set up so that when a child (between the ages of 3-18) is apprehended from the home they have a place to be until a foster or adoptive placement is found or until they are able to return to their birth home. It is very similar to what we have in Canada I believe, but I don't think we have as many of these homes. It really was quite sad to see but not as bad as it could be. The building itself was quite nice. It was situated in an old building which used to be a school I think and had been renovated so there was a big dining room and sitting area as well as a study room with desks and lamps. The bedrooms were quite cramped though, five or six beds to a room sometimes and there wasn't really proper closet systems and things. But on the bright side the kids should only stay there for 3 to 6 months so it is just a temporary solution. Since I don't have time anymore to dedicate one day a week to volunteering there like I had wanted (as I am travelling for more than 55 days in the next three months) I was a little disappointed but we managed to find a solution. Next week I will go and give a presentation on Canada and where I am from one day and then the following day they have given me permission to come and hang out for a couple of hours so they kids can ask me questions and things. But I am excited about the presentation (nervous too!). I am going to make chocolate chip cookies to share with all the kids and have prepared my presentation as well as a powerpoint and it is all in Slovak! It feels really cool to look back over my work and see how much I know in another language! If i get a chance maybe I will post a link to it so you can take a look as well if you like. So that will be the highlight of my week next week.

As well Ivan Lamos, the youth exchange officer for district 2240 (aka the head hauncho) just recently came back from the rotary conference in the US where my home district presented the Six Be's of Youth Exchange (you can read them at the side of my blog) and the Tree of Youth Exchange. I guess it was really well received by all who attended the conference I have been asked to translate it to Slovak. So I have been working away at that slowly. I'm going to do my best to translate what I can and then my friend from the English school is going to help me finish it off). I thought it was kind of a neat project though.

AHHHHH and on Monday I got to talk to Alex and Alexa (my best best best friends) on skype. Together! so it was twice as nice! It was so so so wonderful to get to just sit and chit chat with them for an hour or so, and I got to actually see their faces! It really was fantastic and i didn't realize just how much I missed them up until now. So we got some much needed catching up in and it certainly picked me up and got me going again. Thank goodness for technology. I don't know what i would do if skype didn't exist. honestly.

And now it's Thursday and I'm preparing to head out to the cottage again tomorrow. This time for three days (fri-sun) and I'm thinking it's going to be just as fantastic as it was the other two times. In case you don't know, I'm going with the Foundation (nadacia krajina harmonie) and it's the place where I experienced the sauna for the first time. But it should be lovely and fun, especially since it should be a tad bit warmer this time. But that's what I'm going to be up to! I'll fill you in on how it went when I get back!

LOVE

p

ps. I"M GOING TO GERMANY FOR THREE WEEKS IN APRIL AND I"M SUPER EXCITED. In case you couldn't already tell by use of large letters. But Rotary has approved and I think I've jumped through all the hoops. It's unbelievable all the people I have to inform of where I'm going to be and what I'm going to be doing but I don't think I've left anyone out and I am thankful so many people are watching out for me. But it should be a super trip and I can't wait to see all my family again!

No comments:

Post a Comment