Wednesday, November 4, 2009

AHHHHHH! I just had a FULL conversation with my mom! (those are screams of delight not fear....). I'm so proud! It lasted for longer than five seconds! More like ten minutes to be exact! We talked about school and friends and her daughter and the weather and the library. So there's proof that my slovak is coming along slowly but surely. (She only knows about 20 words in english)

The second reason I am in a particularly good mood: I finally found my way to the library (kniznica). It's actually fairly substantail in size and has an entire room dedicated to english books and magazines!!!! Oh you have no idea how happy that made me! I really like the library as it is, and now I really appreciate it's glory, as I've been deprived of english for two months. My counsellor helped me get a library card so I can officially take out books and just go and sit and be. It's going to be wonderful!

I tried yet another new food today. It was deep fried and full of cheese. surprise surprise. But it was really good. Langosh it was called. Pretty much deep fried dough with cheese and sourcream in it. yummy yummy yummy!

And keeping with the happy note, I'VE BEEN HERE TWO MONTHS! Wow. One fifth of my exchange is complete. crazy. When I look back at the past two months I can't believe how much I packed into them. I've expereinced, FELT, and done soooooooo sooooooo much! It's ridiculous (that one was for you megan!). I'm definately ready to take on the next eight months. Bring it on :)

Things are getting better. I actually look forward to school now, as boring as it is, because there are people there I love to be around. I'm working on getting closer to my host parents as I can actually communicate somewhat to them now. I'm loving volunteering at the english school and my story hour starts in two weeks! Futbal is buckets of fun. I'm going to start playing bridge (yes! you heard right-bridge. It's actually very popular with the younger generation here....) with a school club starting next week. And I love love love my exchangee counterparts; Mariely and Paul. We have so much fun together and have gotten really close. Mariely and I spend practically everyday together. I can only imagine what it'll be like after ten months. It's going to be so sad to leave but hey its an excuse to go to Mexico!

Well on my list of things to do tonight: blog. check. Hem my pants, by hand unfortunately because I can't find a sewing machine. Watch Bones. Read my book (the Alchemist). SLEEEEEP!

I think all of that's doable. Especially the last one. I'm really working hard at taking care of myself(and you know it's so hard going to bed early). It's been very trying this week being sick and all. Everyone, I mean everyone, is concerned for my well being. Now this is nice but after a couple of days you kind of get tired of everyone touching your face and feeling your head and telling you you don't look well. I never know what to say to that; "Oh you look terrible today". I mean what am I supposed to say? "Why thank you! That's just what I wanted to know. A confirmation that I look how I'm feeling--like crap." The medicinal treatment here is different than what I'm used to. I usually tough it out but they definately don't do that here. They all genuinely believe that you can catch cold by being in the cold, that organges and tea or the magical cure for anything, and that if you are feverish (even slightly) you should not eat anything cold. So when I went out, which they didn't even want me to do, I couldn't have ice cream like Mariely and Paul. *tear* and I had to wear like a bazillion layers of clothing. Needless to say, it's annoying from time to time but I've just learned to surrender and embrace it. It's hard for me, but I just let them take care of me. I am however, happy to report that hundreds of litres of tea and a gazillion oranges later I'm feeling better. Thank goodness!

p

Hey and have a request for you guys, faithful blog readers. I would really love it if some (or all) of you guys sent me your addresses either by email, on facebook, or as a comment to this blogpost. That would be grand if you could do this for me! And you never know you just might get a special something in the mail..... :)

4 comments:

  1. Hey Paige!
    It's so great hearing all about your awesome adventure over seas! (Esepcailly with such detailed blog posts....it's like I'm right there with you!) :P

    I know I sent my address before, but just in case...

    9905-84th St.
    Fort Saskatchewan, AB
    T8L 3R7
    Canada

    Sounds like you're having a grand ol' time....always looking forward to hearing more!
    You're always in my thoughts and prayers!

    In Christ,

    Matthew

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Paige,
    I also look forward to your blogs. You write from the heart. All your friends in the Rotary Club say hi. Your dad is now a full fledged member!

    Maurice Perrault
    639 Woodbridge Way
    Sherwood Park, AB.
    T8A 4E4

    You're in my thoughts and prayers.

    Maurice

    ReplyDelete
  3. I miss you, Paige! But it sounds like you're doing well. Here's my Toronto address :)

    Joanne Cave
    Suite 1702B, 321 Bloor St W.
    Toronto, ON
    M5S 1S5

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you know our address...love Dad

    ReplyDelete