Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Happy Day!

So as per my facebook status; I am happy. Why you may ask? Well let me tell you!

1. I got my haircut today. Hurray! I needed it cut for the past month or so but wasn't quite sure how to go about doing it. But my councillor made me an appointment last weeka and away I went. I was more than a little bit nervous though, I must admit. I mean how would you feel heading out to the hairdresser's in a foreign country with minimal language skills. I wasn't sure where I was going, how much it would cost, or who would be doing the actual cutting, but I came equipped with a picture and very telling facial expressions just in case. EEgads it could have turned out really bad. But I assure it didn't. I look as beautiful as ever. As for the cost, it is ridiculously cheap to get your hair cut here. I got it washed, cut, and styled for only 13 euros (about 20 dollars). And Paul, the other inbound, went to the barber down the street and got his cut for 2 euros! You just can't beat that price.

2. MY CRIMINAL RECORD CHECK IS IN THE MAIL!!!!! and it should be here tomorrow. So for those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, let me catch you up to speed. I ran into problems when I visited the foreign police on Friday. UGHGHGH. They rejected my criminal record check for two reasons. One the date on it was expired (It was ten whole days over three months. Cause you know, I could've committed a terrible crime in Slovakia in those ten days) and number two; it only cleared me provincially (except that it was issued by the RCMP! but anyways...). So this made my life terribly difficult. I was in need of a new document, and I needed it in less than a week. SO I had to make a spur of the moment trip down to Bratislava to the Canadian Embassy (who are now my heroes)to get a new one. Thank goodness they could help me. And so now here I am, impatiently awaiting the arrival of my precious ticket to remain in Slovakia legally.
So to say the least, I've been slightly preoccupied for the past couple of days straightening all this mess out. But I've done it, thanks to the help of my family and all the many mighty rotarians out there. Once again HURRAY!

3. I had my first story hour today and it went wonderfully. So in case I haven't told you exactly what I am doing with this english school (which is entirely possible) I will tell you now. I have been volunteering twice a week at the Helen Doron English School for Children in my city. THis is an internationally recognized program that teaches young kids english. After a couple of weeks with them, helping them make props for their classes and things, they asked if I would be willing to prepare a one hour lesson, using stories, to teach the kids. Of course I said yes; so for the past few weeks I've been busy preparing all kinds of props and crafts, as well as practicing my theatre skills. And today was my showcase. It was so much fun! I tell three simple stories each lesson and then get down on the floor with the kids and act it out. Today I had seven kids come ranging in age from 3 to 7 and tomorrow I have nine! So until christmas I will be telling stories to these two groups of kids each week! I'm super psyched if you can't already tell..... :)

4. And the fourth and final reason I'm happy today? I get to miss school tomorrow to eat turkey! Double HURRAY! I love my councilor. She promised us (us being all the inbounds in Zilina) that we could get together and have a thanksgiving day. All of us were busy for Canadian thanksgiving so we agreed to celebrate it on the American holiday. And since she is leaving for Cuba or something this weekend she said we should have it during the week; which means I get to miss school! SO I'm missing all eight hours of school tomorrow to sit at home and eat turkey and attempt to make pumpkin pie. I am unbelievably excited to have a taste of home. You have no idea..... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Okay so maybe that gives you a little bit of an idea.

Lots of love like always!

p

No comments:

Post a Comment