Sunday, February 14, 2010

Rotary Ples (BALL!)

This weekend I got to be a princess! Princess Paige...sounds pretty good doesn't it? On Saturday evening it was the Rotary Ball held every year by my Rotary club. All the proceeds go towards a worthy organization or cause in Slovakia (this year they went to the Foundation I've been volunteering with which works with people with special needs). Now when I first heard it was a ball, the first thing that came into my head was Cinderella....but I never imagined it would be like that....but it was! The Slovaks certainly know how to throw a party!
Before I get into explaining how the ball actually was I have to speak about the preparations, becuase as a girl there is lots that has to be done. I got the royal treatment all day Saturday as I was getting all glammed up to go. My councillor took me to get my hair done, Mariely did my nails and makeup (and I did hers), and the finishing touches were put on my dress (a full length green silky one my councillor arranged to have fitted for me and everything). I really can't believe all the trouble we go to as girls just to look pretty but it was fun all the same. We got all ready in Mariely's house (my next host home) which is this beautiful little flat in the heart of the city. She lives there with just her host mom so there were three girls running about the house which made for even more fun. The funny thing was I think I was more dressed up for this Rotary Ball than I was for my own graduation! At the end of it all though Mariely and I looked pretty darn good. We were sparkling from head to toe (literally. Mariely really loves shiny things. I had sparkles on my eyes, in my hair, on my body, EVERYWHERE). And of course two beautiful girls can't walk to the ball so our host mom called a taxi for us and we were whisked away to the big event.
We arrived to Hotel Slovakia in a matter of minutes, checked our coats and found our seats. The three exchange students from the neighboring city were there as well and we lucked out and all had a table together. The all was elegantly decorated and there were dancers performing in the middle of all the tables. Everyone was elaborately dressed; the boys in tuxedos and bowties and the ladies in flowing dresses. And that's how the evening went, dancing, drinking (not for us of course) and some more dancing and then some eating. The food was interesting to say the least. I'm not so sure about Slovak delicacies. The appetizer was this minced meat stuff which resembled cat food from a can with apples in jelly. The main course was steak which I was super excited about a I haven't had beef since I've been here and it was good but nothing like the steak back home. A little tough to chew but you take what you can get in Slovakia. Then later on in the evening there was a buffet of every kind of food you could imagine which was really good. Fruit, cheese, meat, and get this, WHOLE FISH. They whole little fish, skin and eyes and all that you could just take and put on your plate. All the exchange students thought it was hilarious so we were in there taking pictures until the waiters looked at us dissapprovingly.
I've also come to the conclusion that Slovaks simply need a little alcohol in their blood to loosen up. A couple hours into the evening and a few wine bottles later all the Rotarians who've never said more than 'hello' to me were striking up friendly conversations. It was quite funny to be honest. It was also quite enjoyable to watch all the rotarians dance their hearts out to the Slovak Beatles cover band. It provided for good entertainment all the way around.
All in all it was a wonderful evening, one that I won't forget for a long long time, if ever.

LOVE

p

ps. I m going to try and put up some pictures but this page has been giving me some issues lately so no promises. If not I will post them to the internet and you can look at them there if you want.

No comments:

Post a Comment