Tuesday, August 25, 2009

The first real day...

Well there wasn't much of a day left when I finally got out of bed, but it was still fantastic. I slept until one today which was very nice! I needed it! Both of my host parents went to work in the morning around 8. They both work as book keepers for a big company I think (I'm not too sure what this means but thats what they call it). My dad (who I will refer to as Vojto from now on) also works some at home in his office for another company I think.

When I woke up there were problems with the water because a pipeline burst down the road so I had to wait to have a shower and stuff. Not too long though--thank goodness! THEY FOUND MY LUGGAGE though today so it was so nice to be able to unpack all of my things into my room and have some comforts from home. I'm settling in quite nicely I'd say.

I went shopping yesterday for some essential clothing items... aka underwear and a clean shirt (without puke on it) which was interesting because since my brother is the only one who speaks english well he was the one that brought me. Hahaha so I went underwear shopping with my brother-good times!
Seeing the mall was nice though. It's one of two malls in my city. I think its probably around the size of Kingsway? or so. The new builidings here are not very aesthetically pleasing on the outside. The mall looks like a big industrial plant with no windows or anything on the outside but inside it was very nice. It has many floors and lots and lots of shops. some canadian shops too like tommy hilfiger and stuff. I will go back another time though and really explore it, this time we just went in and out, not too much looking around. But I think I will be able to go to the mall when I want to because it is just down the road from my house.

Today I hung out at home with my brother and his friend. I watched them play cards and we talked about slovakia and canada and stuff and then Vojto (dad) took me to the city square which is full of shops and pubs and old buildings and stuff. this was pretty cool and interesting. i will put pictures up eventually when I figure out how to do it. then vojto and I went to try and figure out a cell phone for me, so I now have a phone which is very nice!

today also I had my first real slovak meal. It was very good! It was potatoes (the best potatoes I have ever had i might add) baked in the oven in very thin slices with spices and fish. The fish was served cold in this mayo like sauce and sauerkraut stuff. It looked very weird but I tried it and it turned out to be delicious! We also had this interesting drink, it is supposed to be very good for your health but I didn't really like it. It pretty much tasted like sour cream in milkshake form. it tasted okay but it was very thick and filling, very different!

Now I'm just at home for a little bit by myself, my parents went to 'fitness' they call it and will be back in half an hour. Tomorrow I'm going swimming with my cousin and matej so this should be fun! I'm excited to see how it goes. So the adventure continues... but so far so good! I really like this city. It is sooooo beautiful and quaint and the people seem to be friendly enough. I think it will be a good home for eleven months.

love p

No comments:

Post a Comment