Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Settling in

Ahoj! well things are definately starting to fall into place. I think I am starting to understand how things work and what the next few months will be like. A routine is kind of evolving which is good.... very good.... i like routine a lot! Right now of course it is different, but once I start school it will be good I think.

Lets see... so much happens in one day! Its hard to remember all of the stuff I think about and see and do! It s all so amazing! My day today started early. very early. I woke up at 4am and couldn't get back to sleep so I just decided to get out of bed and be somewhat useful. I think it was because of the time change and probably partly because I am so excited and nervous and confused all at the same time. I just watched some tv and made myself breakfast (meat and cheese on toast). I was able to eat with my mom before she went to work and then I had the house to myself for a couple of hours because my host brother was still sleeping. (he usually sleeps until noon or so and he was out late last night playing poker and watching a hockey game so he was still fast asleep). It was nice having some time to myself, to just be. I studied some slovak and read and fell back asleep until matej woke up. Then I met dushana at the mall down the street from our house for lunch and we went and had her car washed and photographed beacuse they are going to sell it.

Now to some of the more interesting stuff... We went to the 'foreign police' this afternoon to try and look after my visa stuff. It was very interesting this trip. The police building was very very very old and somewhat sketchy looking. Bricks were falling out all over the place, windows were broken and bars were left everywhere as though it was once a prison. I couldn't quite believe that we had to go in there... but we did and matej says "welcome to slovakia, we're a very poor country you know" so he must have saw the look on my face. It turned out to be okay though. I now have a temporary visa for 90 days until all my other paper work goes through and we have to talk to the rotary people about the application process I think. it was kind of funny because I was just sitting there the whole time while these three adults were bickering over my head and I had absolutely no idea what they were talking about! I just have to trust that they will take care of it I guess.

In the evening we went to a water park which is this giant outdoor pool area with slides and parks and multiple pools of varying depths. This was very cool especially since it is very hot here right now. I think today it was 32 degrees. I met my little cousin barbara (she is 8) and my aunt Kate and my other cousin Jakub (he is 14). This was really cool too. Jakub is going to be the one who helps me out with school and stuff because he is going to the same schoool as me. He has pretty good english and we made a deal so that I will talk to him in english if he talks to me in slovak.... so together we should make a pretty good team.

Speaking of school I am looking forward to tomorrow morning when I am going to register for school. I will find out when it starts and learn how to take the bus and what classes I am taking and stuff like that. My school website is gvarza.edu.sk if you want to see some pictures of it. Jakub says there are around 400 students and there are eight grades so it is pretty small. It should be interesting!

Evenings are the best I think right now because that s when my parents come home so I get to help with supper and we get to sit on the veranda and visit (they drink wine and vojto smokes a cigar) and share stories and stuff. It is really fun getting to know the family and where they come from and learning the language. The language is actually coming very fast. All you have to do is put a little effort in and you start to pick up on little things especially since I am surrounded by it all the time. The most frustrating part about the language is that I don't know what everyone else is saying most of the time and it is tiring trying to get what I want to say across. Although my dad has quite good english, it is hard work understanding him sometimes, so it all takes a lot of concentration. None of it is mindless anymore that is for sure! but with time it will get easier I'm sure.... after all it is only day 3! I can hardly believe it!

So that s whats up! Glad to share!

<3 p

4 comments:

  1. So I was right about the weather in Europe! I'm happy for you that you are in a nice family and that there are lots of interesting things you discover and like. You must be somewhere between Prague and Bratislava, which was on our way to Vienna in 2007, you remember it? Funny to imagine you quite near to us: Europe is not that huge: everything seems to be quite near. Looking forward about your first experiences at school. Kisses from Karin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read both of your blog posts this morning, that is the day you arived and the second day, to the Rotarians at the meeting. Got quite a few chuckles and guffaws. I don't think anyone is surprized that you are even after two days starting to adjust.
    I thought that your luggage would not take too long to reach you, good thing that it came so fast.
    We are very happy that you are settling in.

    I had the honour of introducing Anka to the club this morning, I think that she will do just great. Everyone just loved her, and I must admit, that she is a lovable girl. She spoke a bit to the club and presented her club's banner at the meeting.
    I met with Lauren yesterday, she is pumped to get going with Interact, she has already chosen, subject to the membership, to do something for the Hope Mission in the inner city. She is determined and will make it happen.
    Her goal is 20 members this year and I think that she will achieve that. I suggested to her that she call your brother Alex to start to plan and to get him on side to her way of thinking about where the club should go. She is what I would call "feisty" she will do well in whatever she tries.
    Barb says to say hello and to keep doing what you are, it works.

    God Bless,

    your friend

    John

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whew, it's a relief to hear that you're settling in. I'm, of course, getting nervous and excited for Alex, so it's great to hear that things will be alright in a few days. I love reading your posts. Keep it up, it keeps us all in touch.

    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear you found your luggage...I know you had a lot packed by the weight of your bags when you left. How big was the plane from Prague, how many passengers?
    Dad

    ReplyDelete