Wednesday, September 2, 2009

AHHHHHHHHHahahahahahaha!

Okay so this morning I thought I was going to die I was SO nervous (for school)! I honestly felt like I was going to puke or something, I couldn't believe it.... I just remember thinking, "oh my god oh my god oh my god what on earth did I get myself into!"

But after I recovered from my mini panic attack, all was well. It turned out to be not that bad at all actually. So here's a little run down of what happened:

My First Day at School SLOVAK Style!
My mom, Dushana, drove myself and my cousin Jakub to the school for 815 this morning. I think its funny because school starts almost an hour earlier here but I still get to leave the house half an hour later! than at home in Canada. (we left at 8). Once we got there I had absolutely no idea what to do. I couldn't remember what class my teacher had told me I was in and I can't pronouce her name for the life of me its something like pani marcheska I think but when they say it it sounds more like annie mmmmarts eschka said really really fast. So I went and found my cousin and told him i needed help! and he just shook his head and said 'oh boy' but eventually we figured it out.

Class started officially sometime around 830 and we all just sat down in the class room (the desks are in pairs so I sat next to the other exchange student and we looked confused together). All the kids quickly ran to their desks as soon as the teacher came in but other than that they didn't show much respect for her. Most of them sat there and talked while she attempted to explain what was going on (at least thats what I presume she was saying but in reality I have no idea because it was all in Slovak). She also assigned some of the kids tasks like we have in elementary school. One person is responsible for collecting money (we paid 50 cents for our notebook/agenda book thing and 2.50 euro for something else), one for attendance, one for watering the plants etc.... This went on for two hours and then we were dismissed. That was it! At 1030 everyone went their seperate ways. Those of us who ordered lunch went to the cafeteria and everyone else went home. I guess because it was the first day it was short or something.... i 'm not too sure.

BUT one thing that was interesting was the cafeteria food! You know how in the movies and on tv they always show the caf food as being really gross, and not looking very appetizing?, well thats exactly what its like at my school. Its going to be interesting! Today it was a giant spoonful of rice and one piece of chicken that cracked when you tried to cut it. It tasted all right but its definately not anything gourmet thats for sure! And the day before you have to pick which meal you want the next day (you have two choices, one with meat and one with sugar they say but im not sure what 'sugar' means...) this should prove interesting for me though because I looked at the menu and I have no idea what either meal is. I was hoping perhaps I could make out some of the items but no such luck, its mystery meals for me.... i really need to make some friends to help me out!

Speaking of friends, some of my classmates seemed pretty nice today so i think I will be able to manage. There were only three other slovak girls there today plus myself and the mexican exchange student. the teacher said quite a few of the students are missing because it was a Slovak holiday yesterday or something. They will be back next week though. The three girls were very kind and understanding though, only one of them spoke to us in english because the others were too shy which is understandable, I don't mind because then I get some practice with my slovak anyways. The mexican student is quite nice too. She speaks english pretty well so this is how we were communicating since I don't know any spanish except what I've picked up off of Dora the explorer. It donned on me today that there are three exchange students and Im supposed to have three host families so I think we will rotate families. I looked for the guy from the US but i didn't see him today, maybe tomorrow, we will see. For now I am doing just fine.

Tomorrow at school we have five lessons and then for the afternoon we are going to something called the 'Jolly Festival' which is this festival that students from all over the city put on for kids with disabilities so I'm excited to see what this is all about! I think it will be interesting and I will like having the chance to see kids again, I feel deprived! I'm most excited about the people watching though, I think it will be funny watching some of my classmates interact with the kids, most of them don't seem to thrilled to be in school at all. In my school I don't think they have an academic route or a regular route like in Canada so all the kids; geeky, nerdy, preppy, unenthused, bad ass, and try hard, are all smashed together in one class. So it will be a unique experience at the very least.

but i will keep you posted!

p

3 comments:

  1. I love your posts, Paige!! The thought of you reciting "Dora spanish" to the student from Mexico cracked me up! (All I can think of is you singing 'Come on vayamos'.) I can't wait to hear more about the'Jolly Festival'! Take care! ~Carrie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! It all sounds so exciting, nervewracking, and educational....all at the same time! Sounds like you've really made the best of your new home, and tried to stay focused on the positive!
    Hoping that not only the school will make a little more sense, but that the meals might too! :)
    In Christ,

    Matthew

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two to a desk, sounds like the country school that I went to when I first landed as an immigrant in Northern Ontario in 1951. And Dora, Paige I keep telling the Rotary members to look at your blog, this is great stuff.
    God bless,

    ReplyDelete