Thursday, September 17, 2009

The Boulder

The past few days were a little rough for me. I was homesick, feeling a little lonely, and just kinda down in general. Then (sorry but I'm just gonna be completely honest here)I got my period and it seemed to fix a lot. You gotta love hormones. Ughhhhhhhhh. not. So now instead of feeling like a person whose been completely squished like a pancake by the boulder they were so desperately trying to push up a hillside, I feel more like I've propped my boulder in place and have stopped to smell the flowers along the way. Soon enough my boulder will start to slip, I'm sure, and I'll have to tend to it again (hopefully it won't squish me this time though), but until then I really am enjoying the daisies.

Moving away from the extended metaphors now and onto some of the more juicy information like the cafeteria lunch special today. Oh my GOD! It was kind of really gross! It was Hlushky, which is the national dish of Slovakia. It is pretty much potatoes and cheese but the potatoes taste more like pasta to me. I have had Hlushky before and I quite enjoyed it, but apparently there is such a thing as 'good' hlushky and 'bad' hlushky and on a scale of 1 to 10 this was probably a 2. It wasn't horrid or anything but it kind of felt like I was camping and we had limited supplies and we had to make due with an old pot and a campfire. They put bacon in it which had the potential of making it better, but it didn't help, all you could taste was the bacon grease. YUM. The sad thing is, when I think about it I'm pretty sure my brothers alex and dan would have loved it. It was similar to their morning hash browns smothered and fried in bacon grease.
Needless to say I went hungry today. But that leads me to my next topic: weight gain. YIKES! I think I could do with going hungry a few more times. Although I don't have a scale and I'm not %100 sure I would guess I've already gained 5 lbs or so. wonderful. Lets just say my midsection has a few extra curves at the moment. But curves are good right? A desirable feature on a woman? Nope not like this they aren't. Oh well I don't really mind, as long as I don't come home looking like a wooly mammoth it's all good.
So in an attempt to slow the progression of my transformation into a beast, I've joined the fitness club at my school. I think this should be fun and I know it will be good for me. I just hope it's not too hardcore. I'd rather not die of exhaustion. This doesn't appear like it will be a problem however, because although all the girls in my class are ridiculously skinny, they don't seem all that enthused about physical activity. You should see our gym class. It's really quite pathetic. We had to do push ups today and our teacher made us do man push ups. Well that was a mistake. I think we all made it to 4 and then collapsed into puddles on the floor in giggling fits.
I've also decided to join the school Tourism club and the English Drama club. I can't quite believe I willingly signed up to perform in front of people (the thought of it makes me shudder) but I figured hey! this is a year to take risks. So I'm gonna try something new! Wish me luck. The tourist club should be excellent. It's kind of strange name for it, but what we will do is go out to the mountains and surrounding areas for hikes and nature-esque type things. It's going to be a good way for me to get exercise, see the country, experience the nature, and make friends so I'm excited. I just hope it turns out to be as good as I imagine it to be. I'm not sure whether or not it will. My school seems to have a lot of good intentions but I think it often doesn't follow through with the implementation part. So we will see.

Tommorrow my entire class leaves for France without any of the exchange students. *tear* I so wish I was going! But I totally understand why we can't go. It was too short notice, and money, and room, and such. Still it's sad. So since my classroom will be empty we (being myself and the other exchange students) are being shipped off to a different grade level, Octava B. I'm actually excited for this because it means we get to spend a week with a different group of people who are much closer to our age. We had an opportunity to meet them at the beginning of this week and they all seem really great. It's a good way to make friends I think. Oh and I just have to add because some of you will appreciate it; surprisingly enough my business cards make for excellent networking tools. I've been handing them out all over the place, so I guess Rotary really does know what they are doing! :)

This weekend I am looking forward to a day trip with my Rotary councillor and some other Rotarians. I think we are going to a neighboring town to do some hiking, biking, and sight seeing. It will be very nice, and I'm looking forward to getting to know my councillor a little better plus her son might be coming... and let's just say, well, he's not an eyesore. It will be good I'm sure.

So thats all I've got for now, but I know there'll be more. There always is!

<3 p

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your adventures - they are a treat to read! Keep it up! ~ Carrie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Paige,
    It had to happen, it sounds like you are having way too much fun,
    Keep up the news, I love to hear about your year, day by day

    have fun

    John

    ReplyDelete