Friday, October 2, 2009

And the adventure continues.... Today in class the boys, being BOYS, were trying to light their aerosol deoderant on fire. That was entertaining. They saw a wasp and instead of simply ushering it out the window like any normal person some genious had this brilliant idea to take a lighter to their Axe deodorant. And much to his surprise it actually lit. Huh things with the flammable symbol on them really to start on fire, would you look at that! They then proceeded to spray shapes on their desks, light them, and watch them burn. It was really funny to watch as the innocent bystander, but no so funny to be suffocating in the overwhelming stench of Axe that filled the room for the next two hours despite the windows being open. I mean that stuff smells good but NOT that good.

And then there's gym. At least for this class the girls and boys are seperated. This makes it a little more bearable but it's still seems as though they're using curriculum from the 60's. The fitness tests continue. Today we had to see how far we could throw these grenade shaped balls. I don't know where they came from, they must be really old though because they still say made in czechoslovakia on them. It was the strangest thing. We all lined up and hucked them as far as we could, the teacher measured how far they went, and we were awarded a mark accordingly. Some of the wonderful life skills I've gained so far in slovakian gym class would include; grenade throwing, jumping, running non stop for 12 minutes, sprinting 100m, and doing as many crunches as possible in 1 min even if it means sacrificing the form of the sit-up (most girls were just moving their chin rapidly up and down). That said, it is a class I can understand AND participate in, a rarity at the moment. I do often times find myself looking forward to it and I know I need the exercise. I found a scale and I've gained 5kg in the 6 weeks I've been here. If I keep that pace up I'll be three times the person I was before I left hahaha. But it's starting to slow down already so hopefully I'll just be as big as one and half me's. I'm starting to figure out what food I like and don't like and everyone has stopped feeding so much, THANK GOD!

I've been to the english school one time since I last wrote and it was fantastic! I think I'm really going to love helping them out. We had a chance to talk and sort out exactly what I will be doing. So this is the plan: they are going to offer a free story hour once a week and I get to lead it! Each month I will find four stories I want to read to the kids, prepare props for them, and read them to them. I'm really excited about this because 1) it ties in with what I want to do 'when I grow up' 2)I get to see a whole bunch of really cute kids! and 3) it gives me something to do! (Other than go out with friends. You know one can only go to pubs and drink Kofola so often. When you get up to 6 times a week you know it's too much.)
My counselor has also been in touch with a friend of hers who runs a foster home. And they have asked me if I would be willing (and wanting) to come do a presentation to the kids and spend some time with them every once and while. Of course I said sure. So you can expect to here more about this in the coming weeks. I'm really not too sure how the fostercare system works here. By the sounds of it the kids all stay together in a group home like setting but I guess I will find out soon enough!

Now I am gearing up for my once again super busy weekend. I have soccer today from 3:30 to 6pm (please keep me in your prayers! I have no idea what I've gotten myself into but 2 and half hours of practice! ahhhhhh thats a lot of running!.) Then I come home, shower, change into god only knows what, so I can go to the disco with my friends. Yes, you read right, Paige is going to the DISCO. Once again I have no idea what its gonna be like and truthfully I'm terrified but it'll be an adventure I'm sure. After that Mariely is staying over and the three Zilina exchangers are going to Jarmok (another traditonal festival ish thing) and visiting some caves. On Sunday I've been told we are going kite flying in the mountains but I'm thinking maybe the language barrier skewed that message a little bit so we will have to see. I've become very trusting of everyone because the majority of the time I have absoluely no idea what I am doing, who I am with, or where I am going. As an exchange student you become an excellent adapter.

ahoj! (they say the same thing for hello and goodbye which still acts as a source of confusion for me :))

p

No comments:

Post a Comment