Thursday, October 8, 2009

I think its time for an emotional check-in. My emotions have been running a little high lately. I feel like I'm a cup filled to the brim just waiting to spill over, all I need is a little bump and woosh! out spill my guts! Oh the wonders of exchange!
Really though they are powerful feelings, it gets kind of intense. At times I feel like I'm consumed by feelings of loneliness, fear, and confusion. Sometimes all at once. It's enough to make a person want to run and hide under the covers, but alas I can't do that. So instead of being swallowed up by my feelings, I crawl out of bed each morning, take a deep breath, shed some tears, and embark on my daily journey. Just let me say each day is different. Each day brings different battles, different adventures, different stories.

So I was thinking today (somtimes it seems like I never stop thinking...) just how amazing the human mind is. We really can adapt to almost anything. I went for a walk along the same path I walked along when I first got here and was amazed at all the things I just glazed over. I remember when I first got here everything seemed so new and different and exciting. I noticed every little detail, every crack in the sidewalk, every hole in the ditch. Now I've stopped noticing those little things. It's funny. It's all starting to feel a little more like home. I made a collage of all the pictures I brought the other day and it makes me smile everytime I see it. It really helped make my room feel like mine, not some stranger's.

Also while I was on my walk (I know who knew a walk could be so insightful!), I made my way through one of the maze of flats surrounding my house. It was really neat to get right to the heart of that neighborhood (its called Solinky). I realized that each little section is like it's own little community. There was a playground, a couple little shops, and a church all in the giant enclosed courtyard. There were so many people out and about walking around. People of all ages, grandparents, children, teenagers, mothers and babies. It was really cool. You felt really safe and secure and as though you belonged to something. Suddenly the giant looming stone towers didn't seem so cold and distant.And this made me think about Slovak people. Often times they seem harsh or cold, but once you get to know them they are really genuine, kind, and friendly. I think it most likely has to do with all that they've been through. the older generations have seen immense amounts of change in their lifetimes and I think you can often see it in their faces. Now that's something you don't get in Canada.

You know what else you don't get in Canada? Their terrible table manners....at least that is according to Canadian standards. I've adjusted to it now but I remember when I first arrived how appauled I was with their eating habits. For one they never put their knife down throughout the entire meal. They don't use napkins (they look at me really funny when I use mine) and they don't talk while they eat. Mealtime is business time. We sit down, we eat, and we're done. That's it. No socializing at the table, no catching up on the days activities, just forkful after forkful. They are speed eaters. (Matthew, my friend, I'm sorry to say but you just wouldn't be able to keep up here! :P).

So its kind of an abrupt ending but thats all i've got for today. Talk to you soon!

p

2 comments:

  1. yay! I got a mention in Paige's blog post! Woot!
    *reads it closer*......HEY!
    I don't eat slow.....I just savour the culinary experience. I mean, why spend hours making a meal, and gulp it down in 15 minutes?
    (ps- you eat really fast though too! It's unfair to compare the two of us!)

    It sounds, despite emotional highs and lows, that the highs do indeed outnumber the lows....and that you're really making the strange and distant country of Slovakia feel like home! Let me know when you get your mail!

    Your always in my thoughts and prayers....looking forward to hearing more!

    Matthew

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Paige.

    I've been following your blog - it's nice to hear about someone whose life is sooo different from mine, when I feel like I'm overwhelmed at the adjusting.

    It's Thanksgiving this weekend, so I'm staying with family near Toronto. Definitely makes you homesick to not be going home for the long weekend though.

    You're taking ballroom dance?! I'm taking a "latin nightclub" (salsa) class at the university ... it's ridiculous how fun it is.

    Can't wait to hear more, keep your head up. :)

    - Joanne

    ReplyDelete