Monday, April 5, 2010

Easter/Velka Noc

What an original way of celebrating the Slovak's have. I really couldn't have imagined anything much stranger. First they get a lot of school off for Easter which I'm not complaining about. No school thurs all the way until wed the next week and it's not even the spring break! So that was nice. I did a lot of trips with my host family visiting friends and family but the real thing went down Sunday and Monday morning. We went out to the apartment on the ski hill again, as is usual for the weekend, but this time we didn't ski. The weather wasn't great and there's almost no snow left on the hill (and there is no snow anywhere else) but they have lots of friends there from the ski club and things so that's where they seem to go for every holiday. Since it was nice outside we had a sort of outdoor barbeque going. There was a shelter with a big stone fire thing and lots of wooden and benches and things. Very typical Slovak. Sunday afternoon was when the celebrating took place and boy was it great. There was egg decorating with the kids (which of course I participated in) and a chocolate cake (which I also participated in) and lots of socializing. The kids were free to do as they wished and the adults did a lot of talking and of course drinking. There was also a LOT of food. And so I was happy. We had a late lunch as the main meal. It consisted of hunks of meat roasted over the open fire which we ate with our hands, bread, and fresh veggies. It was delightful. And I was soon very full. Then there were cookies and sweets and cheese too! After lunch I got to make my very own beating stick too which is as strange as it sounds. There these traditional sticks woven from twigs that the boys use to hit the girls on Monday morning, but more of that later. One of the men showed me how to make it (even though only the boys are supposed to) and so that was really cool. You pretty much weave eight sticks together to form the main shaft and then it spits into two at the top. Then you are supposed to tie ribbons to the end to make it look festive.
It wasn't until later in the evening though, that the party really got started. You see, the Slovaks are smart people I think. They start drinking early in the afternoon so that by the time 8 rolls around everyone is already enjoying themselves. This is when the music started. You can't have a celebration without the accordion blaring and some good old fashioned folk songs being bellowed out by the men. There was some dancing and some more talking and just an all around good time. I had some really delicious ginger tea which is a specialty at this time of the year AND some raw beef. Yup sounds wonderful doesn't it? Well it really wasn't that bad. They brought it out as snack later on and all the men were very excited. It's a special treat here because it's made from the backside of the cow which is high quality meat as I'm told. Pretty much what it was though, was mashed meat, not cooked, with some spices. They toasted some bread over the fire, doused it in butter, then rubbed it with a garlic clove, and smeared on some meaty goodness. It wasn't all that bad though, as horrific as it sounds. I realize it goes against all we've ever been taught in America, and it didn't help that they then told me that children can't eat it because it's not good for their stomachs, but they assured me it wouldn't make me sick. And I might add, it tasted pretty darn good. I would actually eat again if the opportunity arose.
Now onto the good stuff, Monday morning. First you must know that we are staying in a place which is laid out something like a hotel so there are several rooms on one floor. But what happens is, first thing in the morning, all the boys get out of bed, fetch their beating sticks, and buckets of water and douse and hit the girls. I know I couldn't believe it either but it's true! The boys all went door to door spraying the girls with water and perfume while dancing around them hitting them and singing this crazy little song. And then get this! The girls are expected to give chocolate, eggs, and money to the boys who hit them! It really doesn't make sense to me but it was still fun. Kind of like a giant water fight. I guess way back in the day they believed that beating the girls with the sticks from spring would give them health and long life and the water was to act as a sort of blessing. And it just kind of evolved from there I guess.
And I have to add while I was writing this, my first host fam (where paul is currently living) came for a visit and so I was soaked once again. But it was in good fun and I hit Paul back. Then they stayed for a short visit which was really nice. It was so good to see them again! I haven't seen them for so long! I never really realized how much I miss them until I saw them again! Even though this family is great, I went through so much with my first fam so it was really great to get to catch up.

And that is Easter Slovak style. Strange but fantastic all the same!

No comments:

Post a Comment