Sunday, April 25, 2010

The North Sea

Well, I'm running a little behind on my blog posts here. Last week I went to the North Sea (among many other places)! It was soo soo sooo cool! We had to take a train for about 2 and a half hours before we arrived at the end of this long little island. You can only get there by train! The only unfortunate thing (which turned out to be alright in the end) was that the one day we decided to go to the sea mother nature decided not to cooperate. I woke up that morning to a torrential downpour. But, we decided to go anyways and it was well worth it because the rain eventually cleared, and although it was terribly windy, the sea was beautiful. I had had the chance to walk all along the coast line and it was majestical. It is such a powerful thing the sea. With the waves crashing up against the shore and the wind whipping around you, it kind of felt like I was in a dream or something. I collected some sea shells and some sand too which was fun and with any luck they'll make it home in one piece. So the day was wonderful and I now realize why everyone things the sea (or ocean) is so marvelous: because it really is!

Now I am in Berlin staying with one of my second cousins. It has been fantastic here as well. I've only been here two nights (and sadly I only have one left) but it has been so nice. I feel so at home and I love the family. I'm sharing a room with my little second cousin Mili who is 12. She is one of the sweetest girls I have ever met and I absolutely love hanging out with her. We've had a lot of fun the past few days reading magazines, playing with the camera and computer, and just talking. Her English is amazing too so that makes things a whole lot easier. It will be sad to leave this place but I'm sure I'll be back (and hopefully sooner than later). Berlin is an interesting city. I've seen quite a bit of it when you combine this time with the time I was here three years ago but I still couldn't really tell you what I've seen and what I haven't. It is a huge city and a little overwhelming. I know for one thing I would never really want to live here forever. Too big and too much construction, too many people, and so much happening. I'll stick to my nice little Tofield of about 1800 people thank you. But that aside it is a very cool place. There is ALOT to see and do and it has so much history it could make your brain exlode. Perhaps one day I'll be able to get everything about the wars straight in my head.
Today I we have taken the morning easy which is alright with me! I rolled out of bed at 11 to have breakfast with the family downstairs which is always nice. This afternoon I think we are going to go to a big Flea Market in the city and then My other cousin (there are three of them) is coming over with her son and husband for a bbq. The weather is fabulous so it should be a really nice afternoon. I'm looking forward to it.

Tomorrow is Monday and that means I'll be heading back to my second home, Slovakia, with Karin and Horst. Which is sad but it will also be nice to be back I think. Then Karin and Horst will stay for two nights and I'm going to show them around Slovakia for a day before they head back to Germany. It should be fun and I'm really delighted to have the chance to share all that I've seen and learned over the past 8 months with someone close to me.

So that's the update! Talk to you soon!

p

No comments:

Post a Comment