Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Hey I'm back again 12 hours later! SO last night I went to a Christmas dinner with the staff of the English School I've been volunteering at. The school itself is really small. There are two centers: one here in zilina and one in prievidza which is 40 km outside of Zilina. Each school has two teachers and then there is Katka who owns it all. So there's really not that many people but all of them or young women (most between 23 and 27 but one of them just turned 19!). So we all met at the school and then headed out to a restaurant in the center and I had a FABULOUS TIME! And boy oh boy did I need it! It really helped pick me right up again and it was really reassuring. Because they are all teachers their english is fantastic, which meant that I could converse in full sentences using big words at normal speed for the first time in months and you have no idea how wonderful this was!!! Extra-ordinarily wonderful! It was also really nice because it reminded me that I do actually have social skills, the ability to converse with people, and the ability to make friends when I'm in my element and that makes me feel a whole lot better about my whole friend situation. Not only do I have to speak in a foreign language (which I am far from mastering) but most of the kids at school are significantly younger than me and enjoy talking about things I just don't find funny so i would say I'm little out of my element when it comes to socializing at school. But that said I have been given the opportunity to really throw myself into the english school if I want. Katka has offered me a position as storyteller twice a week if I so desire (and I think I do) plus I'm welcome any other time I have freetime or feel like coming in. So I forsee a really good friendship forming between myself and the 19 yr old teacher Sonia. Not only is she my age, but she went on exchange to America last year so she really gets what I'm going through. I really had a lot of fun with her last night and so hopefully we will be able to see more of eachother outside of work.

Now, I have to point out that it made me laugh when I went back and reread my last paragraph. It sounds like I have to strategically plan how I'm going to go about making friendships but the sad thing is you kind of have to as an exchange student. I was talking about this with all the other exchage students when we were in Bratislava and they all said the same thing. It's like when you see someone with the potential to really be your friend you have to go about pursuing that opportunity otherwise it will just pass you by. Because for the most part all the people you want to make friends with already have a lot of friends and aren't really looking to make many more so they just won't put the effort in. So that means you have to work double time. It really reminds me of the movie 'I love you man' that I saw a while back where the groom has no man friends so he has to go about making some. And it's hilarious because they say planning a get together with a new friend is like planning a 'man date'. That's totally what I feel like sometimes you have no idea. Like yesterday, I knew if I ever wanted to go out with Sonia again I had to ask for her number and facebook and things but whenever I exchange contact details with someone (and give them my beautiful rotary business card) I feel strangely like I'm asking them out on a date or something. And then I just giggle to myself and think ohhh the situations I have been in while on exchange--the list is endless!

And twelve hours later my emotions aren't running quite as high (I told you!! :P). At the moment I'm getting excited for tonight and tomorrow. Two Christmas dinners with lots of family and friends! As well I'm going to a movie this afternoon with Mariely and a friend so that should be nice as well.

talk to you later! Merry Christmas! Vesele Vianoce!

p

3 comments:

  1. Food Statistics > Total spirit consumption (most recent) by country
    VIEW DATA: Totals
    Definition Source Printable version

    Bar Graph Map Correlations


    Showing latest available data. Rank Countries Amount
    # 1 Japan: 8.2 litres
    # 2 France: 7.2 litres
    # 3 Finland: 5.7 litres
    = 4 Germany: 5.3 litres
    = 4 Ireland: 5.3 litres
    # 6 United States: 4.8 litres
    # 7 Netherlands: 4.7 litres
    # 8 Canada: 4.3 litres
    # 9 United Kingdom: 3.9 litres
    # 10 Austria: 3.2 litres
    # 11 Sweden: 2.9 litres
    = 12 Denmark: 2.7 litres
    = 12 Italy: 2.7 litres
    = 14 Belgium: 2.6 litres
    = 14 Australia: 2.6 litres
    = 16 Norway: 2.4 litres
    = 16 Switzerland: 2.4 litres
    # 18 New Zealand: 2.3 litres
    Weighted average: 4.1 litres

    ReplyDelete
  2. SEARCH ALL
    FACTS & STATISTICS Advanced view

    Search encyclopedia, statistics and forums:




    Select Category Agriculture Background Crime Currency Democracy Disasters Economy Education Energy Environment Food Geography Government Health Identification Immigration Industry Internet Labor Language Lifestyle Media Military Mortality People Religion Sports Taxation Terrorism Transportation (* = Graphable)


    Select Food StatAlcohol consumption > 1960 *Alcohol consumption > 1970 *Alcohol consumption > 1980 *Alcohol consumption > 1990 *Alcohol consumption > 2000 *Alcohol consumption > Current *Beer consumption *beverages and tobacco > % of value added in manufacturing *Bottled water consumption *Coffee consumption *exports > % of merchandise exports *Fruit juice consumption *imports > % of merchandise imports *McDonalds restaurants *McDonalds restaurants (per $ GDP) *McDonalds restaurants (per capita) *Pork consumption per capita *Soft drink consumption *Standard drink > Standard drinks as defined by various countries > Volume *Standard drink > Standard drinks as defined by various countries > Weight *Subway resturants *Subway resturants (per capita) *Tea consumption *Total spirit consumption *Wine consumption *... more Food Stats



    SOURCE
    Global Market Information Database, published by EuromonitorDEFINITION
    Litres of beer consumed per person per year (2002).Food Statistics > Beer consumption (most recent) by country
    VIEW DATA: Totals
    Definition Source Printable version

    Bar Graph Map Correlations


    Showing latest available data. Rank Countries Amount
    # 1 Ireland: 155 litres
    # 2 Germany: 119 litres
    # 3 Austria: 106 litres
    = 4 Denmark: 98 litres
    = 4 Belgium: 98 litres
    # 6 United Kingdom: 97 litres
    # 7 Australia: 89 litres
    # 8 United States: 85 litres
    # 9 Netherlands: 80 litres
    # 10 Finland: 79 litres
    # 11 New Zealand: 78 litres
    # 12 Canada: 70 litres
    # 13 Switzerland: 57 litres
    = 14 Sweden: 56 litres
    = 14 Norway: 56 litres
    # 16 Japan: 55 litres
    # 17 France: 41 litres
    # 18 Italy: 29 litres
    Weighted average: 80.4 litres

    ReplyDelete
  3. they maybe sell alchol there on many palces, but this statistics that I have found does not proove they are heave drinkers there. so it is hard to believe what you are saying.

    ReplyDelete