Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Yet another new experience to add to my long list.... yesterday, while at school (during break thank goodness) my cell phone starts ringing. This is weird in the first place because nobody usually calls me let alone in the middle of the day, but i answered it anyways...and guess who it was??? The Canadian Embassy!! Hahha. It was so funny to hear "hello is this miss reeves? This is the Embassy calling...". So apparently they are still having problems with my silly visa. But I'm not totally sure to be honest because nobody really seems to tell me anything which is just a wonderful feeling. I guess the document which I went and got from the embassy wasn't good enough for the foreign police either so it has to get sent back to Bratislava to be superlegalised. Oh goody. They aren't threatening to send me home anymore though and they've made it pretty clear that the rest is out of my hands and that i just need to let them take care of things so here's hoping it gets figured out before I have to come home in July!

Oh and funny story. I was sleeping at Mariely's house the other day and I fell asleep before her (I always do. I have this knack for being able to sleep anywhere at anytime, and here Im always tired so I'm even better at it). So she was watching tv on the laptop while I was snoring on the floor next to her and all was well. But she informed me in the morning that I was sleep talking, and all i kept saying over and over again was 'anglictina! anglictina!' which means English! English! in Slovak. So I guess I'm beginning to dream in broken english, bad accents, and simple slovak. That should make for some interesting dreams!

Today at school it wasn't quite as boring as usual. In the morning we had to arrive to the city centre instead of school to see some sort of presentation but nobody knew what it was. After seeing it though I have a feeling the school did that on purpose though so kids were less likely to skip. It was quite strange all of it. We sat in this rather large theatre and all the lights went out and there was fog on the stage and loud music and disco lights. I had NO idea what to expect and then all of a sudden people started to dance. Then out of no where there was this loud crashing sound and BAM! a video started on the background screens. But it wasn't the kind of video I was expecting, it showed images of major collisions and it was a whole lot more graphic than anything you would be shown in a Canadian school. I mean there were blood and guts and real people flying through the air. Quite disturbing to be honest. And that's how the presentation proceeded for the next hour or two. It was strange strange mix of dance, music, video, and presenters all in an effort to deter bad driving and the use of alcohol and drugs while driving. In retrospect, I'm not even totally sure that's what it was about as I wasn't able to understand any of what the people were saying but I could infer what they were getting at by the traumatizing images flashing all about.

THEN after that interesting experience we walked in a giant clump (all 100 students) back to the school which took us about twenty minutes. As soon as i returned to the school I was off to help out with the english competition being held this week. They had asked me if I would be willing to read different articles and stories out loud to the students for the oral examination part and so I said sure. I think they were really appreciative to have a native speaker there to do it. It was really funny becuase I had to sit at the front of the room and read aloud two different articles two time each to 20 plus students in the room (many of which were my classmates). They then had 15 minutes to answer questions on what i had read aloud. It was neat to be involved and I am doing it again tomorrow.

And random story number four, I have to do a project in German on my family. I'm supposed to create a poster with pictures and words of all of my siblings and parents. Then I have to say each of my siblings names and how old they are out loud to the class. This would be just fine if I didn't have EIGHT younger siblings. Like geeez Mariely only has two sisters so her job is easy and there I'm going to be; 'this is Isaac and this is Jane................................................and FINALLY this is Naomi!". But I'm excited for it and it should be fun. Plus I like German because I actually get to Participate.

Okay well now I am off to my english storytelling hour and then I'm going to finish some more scholarship applications.... But I'm getting really excited for the stuskova (prom)!!! It's in two days!!!! Yay!

p

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ummm, actually, you have 10 siblings!!! Don't forget about your 2 older brothers Paige, shame on you!!! lol ;)

    ReplyDelete